Institute

History

Branch of Study

[Photo: old building]1921
construction of a separate laboratory for MPVs
Prof. P. Langer

1912/13
experimental work at MPVs and combustion engines within the scope of the engine laboratory
Prof. P. Langer

1906
Administration of the branch of “Automotive Engineering”
Prof. P. Langer

1902
Foundation of the branch of “Automotive Engineering”
Prof. R. Lutz

Institute

2016
Official opening of new building and high-fidelity driving simulator

2010
Institute for Automotive Engineering (ika)
Prof. Dr.-Ing. L. Eckstein

2007
Institute for Automotive Engineering (ika)
Prof. Dr.-Ing. S. Gies

2002
100 years ika Aachen
A sight of the festivities 100 years ika Aachen

[Photo: new building at Seffent-Melaten]1995
Removal to the new institute building on the extended area of the RWTH-Aachen (Seffent-Melaten)

1993
Institute for Automotive Engineering (ika)
Prof. Dr.-Ing. H. Wallentowitz

1989
Commencement of operations of the test road of the institute (Seffent-Melaten)

1973/86
Reconstructions in the area of the manufacturing shop (hydropuls, test bench boxes, transient 4wd test bench)

1971
Institute for Automotive Engineering (ika)
Prof. Dr.-Ing. J. Helling

[Photo: old building at Templergraben]1957
Removal of the building of the institute to the Templergraben, formerly cloth factory Grünzig & Charlier
Prof. Dr.-Ing. E. Essers

1947
Institute for Automotive Engineering and Piston Machines
Prof. Dr.-Ing. E. Essers

1944
bad damage of the building of the institute, total loss of equipment

1939
Professorship institute for Automotive Engineering and Combustion Engines
Prof. Dr.-Ing. E. Marquard

1923
Institute for Automotive Engineering and Combustion Engines
Prof. P. Langer

Address

Institute for Automotive Engineering (ika)
RWTH Aachen University

Steinbachstraße 7
52074 Aachen · Germany

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
+49 241 80 25600
+49 241 80 22147

Copyright © 2017 Institute for Automotive Engineering | Certified according to ISO 9001:2008